Wednesday, July 4, 2012

How I won my battle with depression lesson 3 of a writing course.


When I was twelve I started losing interest in things that used to interest me. Also about that time I started to gain weight. I turned to food to combat my feelings of sadness.
My battle with depression began when I was when I was eighteen, but, I feel that it actually begun sooner. It was a long road to recovery. Some say my depression was hidden within me. They say I was showing signs when I worked for the Somerset Kmart. The longer I worked there the angrier I became.
            Feelings of anger and sadness really enveloped me in July 2001. I’ve been at my new job at Stop and Shop for about seven months, when I made a comment to a co-worker that I needed a psychiatrist, which in turn upset the customer I was taking care of at the time. So, the customer complained to the manager at the time, who happened to be Jay. Jay in turn helped me find a psychiatrist.
            Thus at twenty-four years old I began to see a therapist and psychiatrist at 189 New Street, in my hometown of New Brunswick, NJ.  I was put on Zyprexa and Zoloft at the time. The exact dosage I don’t remember now. But a change had begun when I started to study the Bible with Jehovah’s Witnesses in 2003.
            Before that I was suicidal and threatened to kill myself on several occasions. I was so desperate that one day I grabbed a knife and threaten to use on myself. However, my mom and brother stopped me. I remember that I kept screaming I don’t want to live and you don’t want me to live either. If it wasn’t for their intervention and the help of the therapist and psychiatrist I would be dead now.
            The real question is did I really want to die? At that particular time in my life I did want to die. I sought death and darkness. So I sat down wrote poems that express how I felt at the time. One such poem is called My Sorrow. In short My Sorrow is about this deep sorrow within me.
            My real help came from above in the form of my friend Ginger who is a Jehovah’s Witness. Because I started asking Ginger about her religion in 2003, I live today. True the medicine and psychiatric help helped me too. But once I learned what Jehovah can do I started to change my ways.
            True I may be single but I know Jehovah has someone out there for me. One other thing helped me coped the comfort of my cat Becky whom I’ve had since 1999 but she was born in 1998. Oh my writing has helped me cope as well. Whenever I feel down I sit down and write.
            I now take Abilify, Zoloft, and Trazodone. However, I only take 5 mg of Abilify, 50 mg of Zoloft, and 150 mg of Trazodone. Trazodone is only one that wasn’t lowered. I used to take 10 mg of Abilify, and 100 mg of Zoloft. I started taking the Trazodone because I was having trouble sleeping.
            Even though I’m still on medicine I feel like I’ve won the battle on my depression. I feel like I’ve won my battle with depression because I am a lot happier now. True I still have my down days but they are few and far between now.
            In my early days of my depression I had so many ups and downs that I felt like I was on a roller coaster, and I’ve never been on a roller coaster to my knowledge.
           
            The Compact Oxford English Dictionary defines depression as: 1. severe unhappiness and dejection. 2. A medical condition in which a person experiences severe feelings of hopelessness and inadequacy. 3. A long severe recession in economy or market. 4. The action of lowering or depressing something. 5. A sunken place or hollow.  6. An area of low atmospheric pressure which may bring rain.
            Of course I fall in the area of one and two. And because of that I needed medical help right away. My definition of depression is one of many ups and downs. Fortunately right now I’m on high instead of a low. 
            From what I remember from an old Zoloft I believe is that depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Depression is a serious illness that can be treated with medicine. You can find all kinds of information on different websites. One such site is National Institute of Mental Health.

No comments:

Post a Comment